The Ground-Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB) is a long range precision incendiary solution that widens the capabilities of armed forces. Highly effective and accurate over long ranges, the GLSDB is designed to meet the evolving needs of today´s and tomorrow´s armed forces. Capable of conducting reverse slope engagements and defeating a range of targets, from hardened facilities to soft-skinned assets, the GLSDB adds another dimension to armed forces´ capabilities. Developed in partnership with Boeing, the GLSDB is a flexible, precise and reliable weapon that exemplifies the value of Saab´s thinking edge.
With 360 degrees target engagement ability, the GLSDB provides commanders and planners with a flexible weapon which complements existing ballistic trajectory weapons. The weapon builds upon the successful Small Diameter Bomb Increment (SDB I) and the Multiple Launch Rocket System rockets.
The SDB is a 250-pound class weapon with an Advance Anti-Jam Global Positioning System-aided Intertial Navigation System, combined with a multipurpose penetrating blast-and-fragmentation warhead and a programmable electronic fuze. The GLSDB provides:
- Increased range
- Accuracy to within one metre
- All angle, all aspect attack – even targets behind the launch point
- Multiple rockets to act against multiple targets, with near simultaneous impact
- All weather, 24/7 capability
- Terrain avoidance, such as mountains
- Cave breaching capability
- Launches from hidden or protected positions to avoid detection
- Programmable fuze for impact and delay fuzing for deep penetration or proximity height-of-burst
- SDB Focused Lethality Munition (FLM) variant is also an option for low collateral damage
- Laser SDB variant provides moving target capability