The Ka-226T is a light, twin-engine multi-role helicopter offered by Russian Helicopters, for military and civilian missions. The Ka-226T is produced by Kumertau Aviation Production Enterprise, a part of Russian Helicopters, and is currently in service with the Russian Air Force and the Federal Security Service. Military version of light multi-mission helicopter Ka-226T is designed for operation in hard-to-reach highland conditions, warm climate and oversea, reconnaissance, targeting and monitoring, cargo transportation (up to 1,500 kg), transportation of 7 troopers or service personnel. Improved performance characteristics of the Ka-226T include eco-friendly features, efficiency, modern avionics and additional flight safety solutions – making this one of the best models in its class.Variants of the Ka-226 have the NATO reporting name of Hoodlum.
The Ka-226 features an interchangeable mission pod, rather than a conventional cabin, allowing the use of various accommodation or equipment configurations. The cabin measures 2.35m-long, 1.34m-wide and 1.4m-high. It offers a volume of 5.4m3 and is fitted with mooring equipment for securing cargo and folding seats for accommodating troops. A total of 1,200kg of cargo can be transported by the helicopter inside the cabin and it can carry 1,500kg load on external sling. The maximum take-off weight with under-slung load is 3,800kg. Various modules have been developed, optimized for search and rescue, medical evacuation, disaster relief, patrol, police, fire fighting, crop-dusting, and so on. The helicopter can fly with or without module attached. It can be equipped with hoist system, helicopter sling, searchlight, additional external fuel tank.
The Ka-226T helicopter boasts a modular design and can be delivered in a variety of modifications.
- The passenger model can comfortably set up to seven people.
- The transport model can carry one tonne within the fuselage or on an external sling and cargo platform can be installed to carry oversize goods.
- The Ka-226T has two kinds of medical uses – medevac and intensive care. Medevac helicopters are equipped with stretchers to carry the injured, oxygen cylinders, and the requisite medical equipment. There are fold-away seats for medical staff. When used to provide intensive-care treatment, the Ka-226T can accommodate one patient and two medical staff.
- As a police and border guard vehicle, the Ka-226T can transport up to six people and is excellently suited to law enforcement activities such as: ensuring law and order, patrolling areas, identifying and tracking criminals, and managing the traffic police.
- The search-and-rescue version of the Ka-226 can operate in difficult climates and in a range of different environments, including mountainous areas. High hover precision makes it possible to get injured people on board safely.
The Ka-226T is fitted with a new rotor system, increased visibility nose, and new passenger cabin design. The Ka-226 also features a new transmission system and is made largely from composite materials. The aircraft is fitted with trademark Kamov coaxial rotors, of advanced composite design, making the Ka-226 highly manoeuvrable and eliminating the need for a tail rotor. Instead of Rolls-Royce 250C engines, this variant is fitted with the more powerful Turbomeca Arrius 2G1. Each engine provides 670 shp, increasing the service ceiling to around 7,000 m, providing improved high altitude and high temperature operation. The rotorcraft is equipped with engine fire protection system and fire warning system. The helicopter can fly at a maximum speed of 250km/h and cruise speed of 220km/h. It has a maximum flight range of 600km with main fuel tanks. The operational and hover (OGE) ceilings of the helicopter are 5,700m and 4,100m respectively and the maximum rate of climb is 10m/s.