The M2HB .50 caliber (12.7mm) Heavy Machine Gun is a beltfed, recoil operated, air-cooled, crew-served weapon capable of right or left-hand feed. The weapon’s lethality, durability and versatility make it ideal for offensive and defensive operations. The M2A1 offers the proven performance and in-place logistics support of the existing M2HB machine gun, along with the new features and design improvements of the quick change barrel (QCB) system and flash hider. These upgrades increase the performance of the battle-proven M2 ad are adaptable to existing M2HB weapons.
The M2A1 includes new modern features and design improvements that make it easier and safer to use including a quick change barrel, fixed headspace and timing and a new flash hider that reduces the weapon’s signature by 95 percent at night. The original M2 “Ma Deuce” .50 Caliber Machine Gun is a belt-fed, heavy machine gun that mounts on most aircraft and vehicles and can be fired from a tripod. The system is highly effective against light armored vehicles, low- and slow-flying aircraft, boats and enemy personnel.
The M2A1 fires a variety of NATO .50 Caliber ammunition to include: ball, tracer, armor-piercing, incendiary, and saboted light armor penetrator. The M2A1 will deliver lethal effects against multiple target types. The maximum effective range of the M2A1 is 1,830 meters for area targets and 1,500 meters for point targets.
• Fixed headspace and timing: Reduces safety concerns associated with barrel changing
• Simplifies warfighter training: Eliminates operator requirement to adjust the headspace and timing
• Positive barrel engagement: Ensures the barrel is securely locked and aligned with the patented J-slot barrel retention system
• Improved flash hider: Decreases muzzle flash, making the M2 night-vision friendly
• Robust, removable barrel handle: Streamlines hot-barrel changing