Korea Aerospace Industries KFX Multirole Fighter
Korea Aerospace Industries KFX Multirole Fighter

Elbit Systems Wins Contract for Next Generation Korean Fighter

Elbit Systems Ltd. announced today that it was awarded a $43 million contract from Hanwha Systems Co. Ltd. to equip the Next Generation Korean fighter jets in development, with embedded Terrain Following-Terrain Avoidance (TF/TA) systems. The contract will be performed over a six-year period. Embedding Elbit Systems’ TF/TA solution enables fighter jets to fly and maneuver safely at low-altitudes, in zero visibility and harsh weather conditions (Instrument Meteorological Conditions), thereby enhancing their capability to operate undetected in hostile territory. Interfacing with the autopilot system, the TF/TA system to be supplied fuses data from a range of onboard sensors and a digital terrain elevation data base, together with flight performance characteristics, enabling the aircraft to maintain optimal altitude throughout the mission.

The Company’s TF/TA system combines high resolution ground mapping data from an onboard Terrain Following Radar that is complimented by a Digital Terrain Elevation Database, offering high maneuverability. The system’s real-time terrain data processing and advanced algorithms, take into account the aircraft’s flight performance characteristics, thus enabling anticipation of variations in the terrain and providing optimized climb/descent commands to keep the aircraft in the selected altitude for the entire mission. Elbit Systems’ TF/TA is offered to military air-lifters and helicopters and can be implemented as part of the Company’s basic Communication, Navigation and Surveillance/Air Traffic Management (CNS/ATM) avionics upgrade suite or as a stand-alone component.

Korea Aerospace Industries KFX Multirole Fighter
Korea Aerospace Industries KFX Multirole Fighter

The KAI KF–X is a South Korean fighter aircraft development program, with the goal of developing an advanced multirole fighter for the Republic of Korea Air Force and Indonesian Air Force. The program is spearheaded by South Korea, which holds 80% of shares, and was joined by Indonesia in 2010 for the remaining 20% of the shares. KAI KF–X is an acronym for Korea Aerospace Industries: Korean Fighter – eXperimental, describing the main project companies and the experimental nature of the program. The KAI KF–X is South Korea’s second domestic fighter jet development program, following the FA–50. The KF-X fighter jet is a 4.5-generation fighter jet whose “stealth” technologies fall behind those of fifth-generation fighters like the U.S.’ F-35s or F-22s. The KF-X, however, has a great price advantage with 65 percent of its parts localized.

Elbit Systems Ltd. is an international high technology company engaged in a wide range of defense, homeland security and commercial programs throughout the world. The Company, which includes Elbit Systems and its subsidiaries, operates in the areas of aerospace, land, and naval systems. The Company also focuses on the upgrading of existing platforms, developing new technologies for defense, homeland security and commercial applications and providing a range of support services, including training and simulation systems.

Korea Aerospace Industries KFX Multirole Fighter
Korea Aerospace Industries KFX Multirole Fighter

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.