Russian state news agency TASS reported that Narval Naval Remote Controlled Weapon Station (RCWS) has been successfully tested. Narval is a naval version of the Okhotnik combat module developed by Electromashina NPO (a subsidiary of UralVagonZavod group company of the ROSTEC State Corporation). Initially, Narval was designed for the Russian Navy, but the unit also has export potential. Afanasyev pointed out that several countries have already expressed interest in it. A number of countries are expressing their interest, and this is already tangible and serious. A number of countries are interested in the production of these modules on their territory under license.
The shipborne stabilized remotely-operated Narval module is equipped with a 12.7 mm Kord machine gun. It has a daylight sighting camera, automatic target tracking, a thermal imaging system with identification range of up to 5,000 meters, a thermal vision device with identification range of 2,500 meters and a laser distance meter. Optionally, there is a protection system against high-precision weapons, an all-round observation system and radar. The combat module is designed for installation on boats, medium and large ships. The Narval Remote Controlled Weapon Station was first presented at the Army 2020 International Military-Technical forum.
The 6P49 machine gun is a Kord-12.7 mm heavy machine gun baseline variant for vehicle mounting developed at the Degtyaroyov Plant.The weapon employs new construction, and consequently is significantly lighter than its predecessor. Externally the weapon resembles the NSV; however, the internal mechanism has been extensively reworked, changing from a horizontally pivoting breech block to a rotating bolt design. Additionally the gas system has been changed and the muzzle baffle redesigned. These changes give the weapon reduced recoil compared with the older NSV machine gun, allowing greater accuracy during sustained fire.
Electromashina NPO is a leading enterprise of the Russian military industry in the field of design and manufacture of electric equipment for armoured vehicles. The company was founded in 1958 by the Decree of the Central Committee of the Communist Party and Cabinet of Ministers of the USSR ?723-345 dated July 2, 1958 as Branch ?2 of Scientific Research Institute ? 944 in order to develop and produce gyroscopic devices. In 2005, the enterprise was converted into Open Joint-Stock Company. Since December 2007 the company is a part of Military-Industrial Corporation NPO mashinostroyenia.