Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV)
Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV)

Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV)

The MILDEF 4×4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV) has successfully organised its first round of evaluation testing at various training grounds throughout Malaysia. Testing was conducted by teams from the Malaysian Army and Defence Science and Technology Research Institute (STRIDE) as well as MILDEF, with driving duties performed by army personnel. Conducted across nine days, the MILDEF HMAV 4×4 was subjected to 700 km of road testing and 300 km off-road, as well as being put through the paces on an obstacle course. The HMAV was subjected to testing such as highway endurance, fuel efficiency, load, winching, slope, mounting and dismounting, climbing and braking, including a one-metre fording test. MILDEF has successfully manufactured a 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV) that meets the current United Nations standard and specifications.

The rear door design includes a hydraulic system making this fully armoured vehicle highly efficient. The ramp near the door allows the crew to enter and exit the vehicle without any risk of injury falling off. The composite armor is an ideal choice for ballistic protection with Stanag 4569 Level 2 Ballistic & Artillery. This vehicle uses mine-blasts attenuating seats, underbelly protection Stanag 4569 level 2B and hull protection Stanag 4569 level 2A. The power to weight ratio is 25hp/ton with maximum speed of 110kph. The weapon platform for this vehicle uses RCWS (Remote Control Weapon Station), ensuring maximum protection for the gun operator. MILDEF acquired exclusive rights to use the Caterpillar Engine, one of the most robust and ruggedized engines in the market. This vehicle has been qualified with NATO’s Stanag 4569.

Advertisement

Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV)
Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV) (Photo by MILDEF/STRIDE/Malaysian Army)

Mildef has long time been a company that involves in maintenance, repair and overhaul for the Malaysian Armed Forces vehicles. Based on this experience, Mildef knew the needs to develop new military vehicle to replace the ageing assets of the Malaysian Armed Forces. This needs has drove the company to locally develop its armored vehicle. The development of the vehicle took four years to completed with the total cost of RM16 million for the research and development. One protoype was built and launched on 11 February 2021 and its expected to be test by Malaysian Armed Forces. This vehicle using 70 percent local components while the other 30 percent using foreign components such as transmission, engine and weapon system. The development of the vehicle assisted by local agency, Science Technology Research Institute for Defence (STRIDE) and also Malaysian Armed Forces.

Mildef International Technologies or Mildef (former name: Kembara Suci Sdn. Bhd. ) is a Malaysian private company established in 2005. Its main business is related to the defense sector especially in land vehicle. This involved the development, manufacture and distribution of military and law enforcement vehicles, as well as providing maintenance services. Mildef was founded in 2005 under the name of Kembara Suci Sdn Bhd. It has long time been a company that involves in maintenance, repair and overhaul for the Malaysian Armed Forces vehicles. This company also provided upgrade service for the ageing military vehicle for the Malaysian Armed Forces as part of the low cost solution. In 2021, Mildef HMAV 4×4 was launched by the company. The vehicle is aimed to be promoted to the local and international market.

Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV)
Malaysian Army and STRIDE Tests MILDEF 4X4 High Mobility Armoured Vehicle (HMAV) (Photo by MILDEF/STRIDE/Malaysian Army)
Advertisement

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.