The CZ BREN 2 BR is a full-caliber 7.62x51mm modular battle rifle from the production of CZ (Česká Zbrojovka) service weapons. Its design has been based on the experience of the most demanding users from among the special units and armed forces who demand the best, regardless of the area of operations. The BREN 2 weapon system was introduced about two years ago by CZ – Česká Zbrojovka Uherský Brod A.S. as the heir of the tried-and-truee CZ 805 BREN A1 assault rifle, itself a commercial success and adopted by numerous entities worldwide. The BREN 2 weapon system was introduced about two years ago by CZ – Česká Zbrojovka Uherský Brod A.S. as the heir of the tried-and-truee CZ 805 BREN A1 assault rifle, itself a commercial success and adopted by numerous entities worldwide. Vastly improved thanks to the feedback from military and police users of the previous design, the BREN 2 has already started to replace the CZ 805 BREN A1/A2 system among many of the first-time users.
The CZ BREN 2 BR is a cutting-edge individual automatic weapon combining the strong points of the successful CZ BREN 2 model series with the popular and powerful 7.62×51 NATO calibre. The result is a new generation light battle rifle, characterized by exceptional reliability, high accuracy, outstanding ergonomics and easy control. In comparison with assault rifles in 5.56×45 NATO or 7.62×39 calibres, the CZ BREN 2 BR boasts a considerably longer effective range and increased impact force at the target. All this comes without any significant weight increase to the weapon. Following the immediate success of the 5.56x45mm and 7,62x39mm variants, the well-known Czech-based manufacturer goes full circle with the CZ BREN 2 BR, a 7.62x51mm NATO battle rifle version of the platform. Once considered outdated, full-caliber select-fire military service rifles have been making a major comeback in recent years as technology and material advancements made them handier, lighter, more versatile and controllable than in the past.
The CZ BREN 2 BR is a gas-operated, select-fire battle rifle offering semi-automatic or controlled burst fire capabilities as well as a three-stage regulator to ensure reliable function even when heavily fouled for reliability in all conditions. Other features include a side-folding and collapsing buttstock, and a 16-inch barrel. The BREN 2 BR is configured to feed from SR-25 compatible magazines; issued ones are proprietary, made out of polymer, and offer an overall capacity of 25 rounds, but popular alternatives such as MagPul’s PMAG LR/SR 20-rounds and 25-rounds magazines will fit. The system is built around a polymer lower receiver with many ambidextrous controls and others easily reconfigured for left-hand or right-hand operation, and a machined alloy upper receiver offering multiple Picatinny rail interfaces and attachment points for tactical accessories and optical sights.
The main advantages of the CZ BREN 2 BR include:
- Supreme reliability in all climatic conditions.
- Three-stage regulator to ensure reliable function even when heavily fouled.
- Improved resistance against impact, mechanical damage or fire.
- High accuracy in both modes of fire (single round, short burst).
- A number of MIL-STD-1913 rails for the attachment of accessories.
- Easy to move controls on both sides.
- Non-reciprocating cocking handle allowing the breech to be forward-assisted.
- Ambidextrous bolt catch with dual control.
- Ergonomic pistol grip with storage space and interchangeable backstraps.
- Comfortable robust telescopic folding stock with a thick rubber buttplate.
- Magazine well compatible with most magazines for 7.62×51 NATO cartridges.
- Easy and fast field stripping without the need for tools.